quarta-feira, 13 de fevereiro de 2008

Movies...you know the drill...

Yup, I'm lacking the imagination to create a decent title for this post. Nevermind. On to the "flix", shall we? The first is, as you've probably already guessed by looking at the picture above, Cloverfield. Apparently, thanks to a viral marketing campaign, everyone and their mother knew about this movie, or at least knew "something" about it. For me, sitting in this little corner of Europe, the first glimpse of the movie came from the usual tv spot some days ago, so I had to do a little research on it and the results were promising. Monster movie, lots of action scenes, Manhattan crumbling into pieces, all of this filmed in a little hand-held camera. Cool!

For a Blair Witch Project nut like me, this sounded really good, and now I can't really say that regret watching it, but I'm not thrilled either. The movie is pretty interesting, the monster itself is rather unique, the action/destruction scenes are pretty well done and the hand-held camera gimmick is nicely done, but still it's not one of the best movies I've seen. Still, give it a try if you like monster movies.

Now, this is my shit! Now, before I continue, I must say that I'm not the biggest Rambo fan out there. In fact I don't even remember seeing any of his movies from start to finish, just some scenes here and there when they passed on tv (saw almost the entire Rambo 3 last week on AXN). Still everyone knows who Rambo is, and I am no exception so I knew the basics. He's a badass who kills lots of people, that's pretty much all you have to know.

Anyway, on to John Rambo, aka Rambo, aka Rambo IV (whatever the fuck you want to call this movie). This movie kicks ass! It's a brainless, gory, spectacular action movie done right. The plot is weak, like in basically all action movies, but it's at least coherent and not fucking ridiculous like in Dragon Wars. It does the job, and it's job is to put Rambo in the middle of the action. Oh, and there's lots of action...

Wikipedia says: "Rambo holds the record with the most kills out of the entire Rambo series, with 236 kills and an average of 2.59 kills per minute." Fuck yeah! If Rambo is already fucking deadly with just a knife or his bow, when he gets hold of a .50-caliber machinegun near the end all hell breaks loose, limbs start to fly off and blood starts to rain. Trust me, it's just fucking awesome!

So, the point is, if you like a good action movie and you're not easily impressed by severed limbs and exploding heads, you owe to yourself to see this film. NOW!

10 comentários:

Junlee disse...

I saw cloverfield and I got absolutely sick! We sat in the very first row in the corner, and it didn't help that I hadn't had anything to eat in the part 8 hours or so.

I actually got dizzy and almost threw up that damn camera was so shaky! But from what I can remember, it was pretty cool, and I really liked the monster.

NebachadnezzaR disse...

Looks like you've found your way into my little place. That makes me happy! :)

Yup, Cloverfield had that problem. I always seat in the back row so I didn't have much problem with the shaky camera. I do think the cinemas should give barf bags with the ticket, though.

The Sports Satirist disse...

I never got into any of the Rambo movies. It just never really appealed to me.

Junlee disse...

Yeah I found it!

I'm very big on games as you probably have seen, but I'm almost as big on movies, so these posts make me happy! :)

fatherkrishna disse...

I'm now feeling that I'll wait to see Cloverfield on the TV or DVD. Between you not feeling that much for it and junlee actually throwing up after watching it, the prognosis doesn't seem that good!!!

Rambo on the other hand? Well, like your good self, I'm not sure I've seen any of the first movies all the way through. The problem I'll have is persuading Mrs. K to see it (I don't get to the cinema that often, and when I do it's usually with her!)

How do I sell an impressive kill ratio and awesome explosions to my good lady? LOL!

The Sports Satirist disse...

The lack of eating was the reason junlee on the verge of vomiting. It had nothing to do with the movie.

Junlee disse...

Well it also had to do with the fact that we were sitting so damn close! And the movie did have a terrible shaky camera, but yes the lack of food definitely didn't help any!

NebachadnezzaR disse...

If you didn't eat what would you throw up? xD

Junlee disse...

I didn't throw up, that was the problem! I felt like I needed to, but I couldn't...would've felt a lot better if I did!

blackh0le69 disse...

I actually didn't enjoyed cloverfield.. not by a long shot. It's not the worst movie ever or something, but...

The first part its like: "bOOORRIIIINNG!"

Then the film gets into nice, intense , thrilling section were they're trying to run away. After that, it just get's cliché, and that ending? WTF? How are we seeing the tape if the city was destroyed?

PS: It reminded me about Monkey Plannet.