quinta-feira, 14 de fevereiro de 2008

Games finally!


Yup, it was just a matter of time before I started talking about games again. Today I played a lot of Turok for the 360. Fucking awesome game, this one is! Or at least for a dinosaur fan like me. Ok, it's not a masterpiece, but it's a way more solid game than what most reviews on the web will lead you to think. The story is pretty good for an FPS, complete with nice flashbacks that kind of make a bridge between Turok's past and the present events. Of course this is not the same Turok, the dinosaur hunter, that we knew from the previous games. Still, despite his stupid haircut, this "new" Turok is a nice character, and he borrows a lot from the "old" Turok, like being native-american and being an expert with the bow and the knife.

Talking about the knife, this often overlooked piece of equipment is used up to its full potential in this game. Except for big ass dinosaurs like the T-Rex, almost everything can be instantly killed with a deadly strike from our little friend, resulting in often spectacular action sequences where our character slices the chest of an enemy soldier or the throat of a dinosaur.


There are other weapons, of course, but forget the exotic pieces from previous Turok games. Here you just have the usual machine-guns, pistols, shotguns, etc... Like in most modern shooters you're just allowed to carry 2 weapons at the same time (besides the knife and the bow), but to make up for that you can dual-wield them at will, which is a nice touch and will come in handy since this game is bloody difficult! The easiest difficulty setting is "normal" (WTF? no easy mode?) and so far I've died almost as much as when playing Gears of War in the middle difficulty level. Meh, at least so far the game's been interesting enough for me to always try again.

Graphically this game is just fucking beautiful. The jungles may not rival the ones in Crysis, but this is a 360, not some million dollar PC, and what we see here is just amazing. From the moving grass, the the giant trees, to the strange rocky formations, everything's just gorgeous. And the dinosaurs, oh the dinosaurs... Their shiny skin, their fluid animations, the way they get covered in blood with each accurate shot from our rifles... These are, without any doubt, the more realistic reptiles we've ever seen in a videogame, even if they're not meant to be accurate renderings of what the real dinosaurs looked like.

So, I'm not even half through it yet, so this is not a review or anything like that. I just wanted to let you all know that so far I'm fucking loving this game and if you like dinosaurs and FPSs, chances are you'll love it too!

Here's a video review:

19 comentários:

Junlee disse...

I think I might dl the demo on PSN...it looks kinda cool, but I've never played one before.

The Sports Satirist disse...

The multiplayer was ass, but I still had fun with this game.

NebachadnezzaR disse...

Never played what, junlee? A Turok game? Don't worry, this is basically an entire new game, you won't miss anything if you haven't played the previous titles.

The Sports Satirist disse...

Did you want to exchange links. I think it is about time we exchange links. What do you think neba?

NebachadnezzaR disse...

Of course. Why not? I'll take care of that ASAP.

The Sports Satirist disse...

Sounds good. I already added your link to my blog.

blackh0le69 disse...

I really have to play this fucking game.. since the moment I first saw it, it looked gr8 for me. Im gonna try and download the demo, if I can finally get a remote for my tv that actually works and makes me able to switch to AV channel!

The Sports Satirist disse...

I loved the music in this game. It really added to the gameplay.

NebachadnezzaR disse...

blackhole, only I may swear in my blog xD Ok, not really, but I felt like saying this for some reason...

funnyman, indeed, and the sounds of the dinosaurs and the moving grass really give the game an extra layer of atmosphere.

gnome disse...

Ah, yes, finally. Some proper gametalk. Now, even though this knife sounds more than incredible and the whole next-gen Turok thing must be quite an experience, this is no proper Turok sequel, is it? Oh, and know if it hits the PC?

blackh0le69 disse...

I think that depends on what former turok you're talking about... if its the last one, im sure this is one heck of a sequel! :D


PS: Shit, sorry for swearing back then. I've might have just ruined the image of this fucking great blog.

NebachadnezzaR disse...

Great to see you, gnome. Dying to hear me talk about game again, eh? Well, rest assured, there are a lot more games for my 360 in the way so in the near future I'll be talking mainly about them.

Nope, this is not a proper sequel, the name itself suggests that this is more like a rebirth of the series instead. It's a different Turok, it's a different setting, only the dinosaurs and the bow return.

About the pc port, I was about to tell you no, but I would just be making a fool out of myself, since a quick search revealed a release scheduled for the next month.

The Sports Satirist disse...

I loved tagging human opponents, and then having the dinosaurs eat their balls. It was hilarious.

fatherkrishna disse...

Wow! What a great thread! The only Turok game I ever played was a title (possibly the first) on gameboy, and as you might expect, it was nothing like this!

This title is being advertised quite heavily on TV in the UK and I'd love to just run out tomorrow and buy it and get stuck straight in...

Except at the moment, the Krishna family budget doesn't allow me to walk into a games shop and buy a current title...

A current gen game would zap at least 1/5 of the whole families weekly allowance!

That's not to say I'm short of games... Theres at least 50 unplayed titles sitting in my house (mostly last gen or before)...

But when I see a kick ass review like this with great video, I just wanna jump in there!

A year ago, I only had retro games... Now I've moved into the C21st, it pains me that I just can't go out and buy and play!

blackh0le69 disse...

How I understand you...

I cant even buy that damn Cod 4 because its like half of the money I received in Xmas, and it only takes 8 hours (no Live for me).

The same thing goes for every other game... I had 4 Xbox 360 games in one year, and they were all bought at budget prices!

PS: I got the oportunity to play turok a bit, but it was just 2 minutes. I had what seemed to be a shotgun and I took down 2 dinosaurs only, still, I love the ambience of the game, and the blood in the dinossaurs? Lovely!

NebachadnezzaR disse...

Oh, how I understand you both... Under normal circumstances I wouldn't be playing Turok either, my budget wouldn't allow it, but then I thought to myself: well, if I don't have the money to buy these games anyway, it wouldn't hurt anybody if I just played them without actually purchasing them...

...and then I hacked my 360's firmware... LOL

(sorry to disappoint you, my anti-piracy friends...)

blackh0le69 disse...

I think the same Neba. If I would not buy the games anyway, I dont know what's the problem about downloading them.

Unfortunatly (what the heck?) I cant solve my router Low Id in any torrent or emule programs. And I dont want to be downloading games at 15kb's per second...

BTW, can you still use live?

NebachadnezzaR disse...

I don't use Live much, but from what I've heard, as long as your games are stealth patched and your firmware is up to date, you wont get banned.

gnome disse...

Aha! Then I'll probably be playing it too. Oh, and don't forget to try Psychonauts on your lovely Xbox 360...